Hard Proofing Application Form And Pricing
New standards and advancements in technologies and methodologies has brought proofing across multiple print technologies, to new level of quality capabilities and demands for the industry take a renewed look at expectations of proof workflows. Hard proofing systems are utilized across multiple “non-traditional” technolgies, along with standard inkjet proofing, providing high color accuracy during prepress operations and for color verification during print manufacturing. An initial certification program was developed by Idealliance in 2006, with over 120 proofing systems certified, now recently updated for 2022.
The following factors have prompted the development of a revised Hard Proofing System Certification Program:
- Improvements in measurement technology,
- New standards defining requirements for hard proofing equipment and systems,
- Requests by users for testing and validating technologies to new standards capturing a wide range of print applications, usage, and media.
- Desire by vendors for unbiased assessment of their latest systems.
- What We Certify
- A hard proofing system consists of a print engine, and DFE(digital front end) / RIP (raster image processor) and media (typically paper) for print output to a range of reference print characterizations ( those as part of ISO 15339-2) and viewed under standard lighting. Hard proofing systems are evaluated based on requirements specified in ISO 12647-7.
Certified systems will receive a certificate indicating succesfful completion by the system to the Idealliance Hard Proof System Certification protocol, certification badges, and publication by Idealliance of completion across the official Idealliance Global Certification Directory and support by Idealliance for system certification publication across various media outlets.
Note: The color reproduction accuracy evaluation portion of the Idealliance Hardcopy Proofing System Certification program utilizes the identical aims and the Colorspace proof tolerances as that of the Idealliance G7 Master Facility Qualification program therefore, the proof sheets generated by an Idealliance certified Hardcopy Proofing System shall have the same shared appearance with print products produced by other Idealliance certified systems; Digital Press Systems and/or G7 Systems when the same reference dataset was used. G7 Master print service providers recognize certification in these systems as capable of delivering G7 Master qualification level print output to easily achieve G7 Master Qualification. Please also note, G7 Master Qualification is separate, and available to print service providers here.
What We Certify To
- The default set of reference print characterizations to be used for soft proofing system evaluation will be CRPCs 1-7 as part of ISO 15339-2. These characterization data sets and ICC profiles are available on the Idealliance web site. Alternative reference print characterization(s) such as SWOP, or custom reference dataset(s) may be chosen for evaluation, or evaluated additionally according.
- Proof output according to ISO 12647-7 for color reproduction accuracy, color repeatability, color uniformity, and the conformity of “Shared near-neutral gray scale (G7®)” based on CGATS TR015 across multiple print technologies according to CGATS 21.
- Standard lighting refers to viewing environments that conform to ISO 3664.
- Spectral measurement and colorimetric computation according to ISO 13655.
- Idealliance Hard Proofing Certification Protocol v2.0
- Idealliance Hard Proofing Certification Application Data Sheet (ADS) Template
- Idealliance Hard Proofing Certification Print Targets will be provided upon receipt of submission form below. Contact us for more information.
- Interested Applicant may download the protocol to review specifications and determine viability for certification.
- An Application Form is completed online and submitted to Idealliance with fees based on the set of evaluations to be performed. The application form includes information about the Applicant and desired certification(s). The fee is payable irrespective of the outcome.
- Certification testing will be performed by the Evaluation Contractor (Rochester Institute of Technology PAL). Logistics for transporting hardware equipment to Evaluation Contractor are arranged by Applicant and Contractor.
- Test procedures involving colorimetric measurements will be conducted as described in the Evaluation sections on certification protocol to assess the uniformity of the display and accuracy with which the system can simulate the designated reference print characterization and/or spot colors.
- Applicant supplies an Application Data Sheet (ADS) that provides information on hardware and software as well as detailed instructions on operation. Information provided in ADS must be sufficient for a skilled operator to achieve intended results. Discrepancies or omissions will be reviewed with the Applicant. An ADS template will be provided to capture the following.
– Identification of manufacturer, system and components.
– Model of measurement device used to calibrate/profile system.
– Reference print characterization and ICC profile.
– Detailed instructions for setting up system.
– Any additional information necessary for device or system operation.
- Evaluation Contractor will provide a report to the Applicant by email. The report will include a compilation of results and status of pass or failure of each test. A sample evaluation report may be downloaded from the Idealliance web site.
- A certification for a hard proofing system does not expire. However, a certified system that undergoes a significant change in hardware or software will require separate certification. A change in the system includes different paper, ink, model number, version number or other change within the certified system.
|Hard Proofing System Certification (including ISO 15339-2)||$6,000||$7,000|
|Additional Reference Print Condition (per condition)||$1,000||$1,000|
Coordinate logistics for shipment of printed samples with Idealliance. Details will be provided upon completion of the below form.