IDEAlliance today announces tutorial offerings for its annual XML Conference to be held October 13-15 in Philadelphia at the Crowne Plaza Hotel. This year’s conference, “eMedia Revolution,” focuses on eMedia Publishing and XML Foundations, Applications and Interoperability. Choosing from among five tutorials and a comprehensive conference track, attendees will discover how to reinvent their workflows and distribution models to support multi-channel content distribution.
Tutorials for 2010
XML for eReaders and Tablets
For those with a basic understanding of XML, XHTML and CSS, this three-part tutorial will provide a solid foundation for XML-based publishing on eReaders, iPad™ and the next generation of tablet devices.
1. ePub XML: Learn how to tag for eReader platforms and how CSS2 can be used to format book content for eReaders. Instructor: Eric Freese, Aptara
2. Advanced ePub Formatting: Learn several methods for editing an EPUB file, then dive into the code and discover formatting techniques that can transform an otherwise boring layout into a well-designed eBook that is both functional and beautiful. Instructor: Gabriel Powell, Metafusion Training
3. nextPub XML – Bringing Magazines to Tablets and eReaders: Discover how new XML tagging (nextPub ) based on PRISM/xml can be used to deliver rich serial content such as magazine articles for tablets and beyond. Instructor: Dianne Kennedy
Introduction to XML for Cross Media Publishing
For those new to XML and the conference, this 2-part tutorial will provide a comprehensive overview of XML.
1. Intro to XML: Gain an introduction to XML, XML tagging basics, the XML schema and the application of style and formatting and why XML is the cornerstone of cross-media publishing workflows. Instructor, Dale Waldt, aXtiveMinds
2. From InDesign to XML: Take advantage of this step-by-step tutorial on moving from InDesign to XML. Instructor, Dorothy Hoskins, Novatek Communications, Inc.
In addition to technical training provided through the tutorials, conference tracks offer a broad spectrum of technical training for XML publishing and media strategists, technologists and professionals. This year’s XML Conference features 4 Tracks:
Tools and Solutions Track: Product updates and real-world case studies.
Foundations and Applications Track: Technical introductions to specifications for XML publishing, DITA, and an introduction to Docbook 5.1.
eMedia Publishing Track: Publisher panels of those leading the eMedia revolution.
Extended XML Track: Registration includes access to the XML-in-Practice community of practice with a private collaborative website complete with a discussion forum, files repository, wiki and ongoing XML-based Webinars.
Why Attend XML 2010?
The XML 2010 conference is a pre-eminent training event for enabling publishing technologies. “Gaining new technology skills to keep pace with an industry that is changing at an unprecedented pace is always a challenge,” said Dianne Kennedy, VP of Media and Information Technologies, at IDEAlliance. “Each year our XML Conference has been designed to provide technology training that publishers can immediately use to move into the next generation of publishing. This year is no exception!”
IDEAlliance (International Digital Enterprise Alliance) is a not-for-profit membership organization. IDEAlliance advances core technology to develop standards and best practices to enhance efficiency and speed information across the end-to-end digital media supply chain - creation, production, management, and delivery of knowledge-based multimedia content - digitally and in print.
IDEAlliance members represent a unique convergence of the leading brand owners, agencies, publishers, printers, materials suppliers and solution providers. IDEAlliance provides a user-driven, cross-industry, and open environment in which its members can strategize, innovate, standardize, and implement solutions to real business challenges in eMedia-based publishing.
Learn more about IDEAlliance at www.idealliance.org.
1421 Prince Rd. Suite 230,
Alexandria, VA 22314